If you are concerned that a child or young person is being harmed, or is at risk of being significantly harmed as a result of abuse or neglect, you must report this immediately.
- Children’s Social Work Services - 0141 777 3000 (Office Hours)
- Glasgow & Partners Emergency Social Work Services - 0300 3431 505 (Out of Office Hours)
If you think a child is immediate danger, call the police on 999.
If you are a Practitioner who works with children, young people and families (paid or un-paid) and are concerned about a child:
- Discuss your concerns in the first instance with your Child Protection Lead or line manager if you are unsure if they are suffering significant harm
- Inform the parents and/or gain their consent for you to make this contact unless doing so would put the child at risk.
Gather the following initial information prior to making your call:
- All the details known to you about the child
- The family composition including siblings, and where possible extended family members and anyone important in the child’s life
- The nature of the concern and how immediate it is
- Details of any work/support that you have provided to the child or family to date
- Details of where the child is
- Whether you have informed parents/carers of your concern. Please be aware that consent from the parent/carer will be required to make a referral unless this places the child at any further risk.